I listened to a podcast found on Podcast Pickle, about the current research at Kennedy Kreiger Institute, on autism. It was in the form of an interview with a prominent researcher in this field. She was speaking about how they are learning about the neurological impairments that play into this disorder. They are looking at how the brain develops and why the "wiring" of the brain is impaired in the way that it is. They want to learn about how to diagnose this disorder according to these neurological impairments, as currently they are diagnosing based on behavior. It has also been found that it is genetically predisposed through family members, and so they are recommending parents with one child with autism to procure specialist appointments early on in other children's lives. The Kennedy Kreiger Institute is also looking to increase their studies with pregnant mothers in their first trimester. There are many new endeavors taking place in the current field of study of Autism, and they are aggresively seeking the neurological impairment that is causing it so that they can treat it more effectively.
I think that this is especially relevant for my field of teaching, because if I can continue to learn about what is taking place in the latest research, I can then pass this information on to other professionals and parents of children with autism.
It would be great if they could diagnose autism through neurological tests because theoretically the impairments could be detected mush earlier and interventions could start earlier. I'm sure we will hear more about neurological testing in all fields as technology improves.
ReplyDeleteDr. Burgos